During the holiday season, we often gather around the table to celebrate meaningful events, strengthen relationships, and make wonderful memories. Unfortunately, some of our favorite holiday foods can also cause bad breath at times when we want it the least! The most common culprits are:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Protein-dense foods like dairy, meat, and nuts
- Acidic foods like chocolate, butter, coffee, and soda pop
These types of food activate smelly sulfur compounds as they are digested. Bad breath can also have other partners in crime, like food particles trapped in the mouth that promote bacterial growth. Not what we want during the season of hugs and family time!
Here are a few simple tricks you can use to prevent bad breath from souring the mood at your holiday festivities:
- Drink water to rinse your mouth and keep it hydrated, especially after finishing a heavy meal or beverage.
- Choose fresh vegetables like celery stalks and carrot sticks over sweet potatoes drenched in brown sugar and marshmallows. If you just can’t pass up your favorite sweet treat, limit portion size.
- If fresh vegetables are nowhere to be found, chewing on garnishes like parsley or mint sprigs can help in a pinch!
For a last-minute, fail-safe solution to unpleasant breath, try our new Thieves® Mints. Popping in a mint will give your mouth a refreshing, minty taste and scent. Because these mints are infused with Thieves essential oil blend and are made from pure, sugar-free ingredients, you aren’t just getting fresh breath—you are doing your whole body a favor!
May your holiday season be happy, healthy, and refreshing!
—Gloria Russo, International and Portfolio Brand Manager—Personal Care