Valentine’s Day: the season of roses, love notes, and cupid’s arrows. During this time when we focus on strengthening our bonds with loved ones, may I suggest we look inside to strengthen our hearts? According to the American Heart Association (AHA), a healthy lifestyle and diet are your best weapons for fighting cardiovascular disease and supporting overall heart health. Some basic recommendations for accomplishing these goals include:
- Exercise regularly—Thirty minutes of moderate daily physical activity should be our goal. Regular physical activity improves cardiovascular risk factors.
- Maintain a healthy weight—The AHA suggests a body mass index (BMI) of 18–25.
- Avoid smoking— Due to overwhelming evidence for the adverse effects on cardiovascular health, the AHA strongly and unequivocally endorses efforts to eliminate the use of tobacco products and minimize exposure to second-hand smoke.
- Balance caloric intake—A general rule for accomplishing this is to expend as many calories as you ingest.
- Eat smaller portions—The typical U.S. portion size has increased dramatically over the past 30 years; keep this in mind when preparing or ordering meals.
- Read the Nutrition Facts panel—Proper education can help you focus on eating nutrient-dense foods.
- Incorporate omega-3s—A 2008 study showed a reduction in cardiovascular events by 19–45 percent in individuals who consumed regular amounts of omega-3 fatty acids. It went on to suggest that individuals should consume at least 500 mg per day of combined docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA).
I would like to suggest a few Young Living products that may help you in your goals to support your heart health:
- OmegaGize3™ delivers DHA and EPA, Kaneka CoQ10™, and vitamin D.
- Slique™ products are formulated with unique, natural ingredients to help you attain your individual weight goals when combined with diet and physical activity.
- NingXia Red® is a powerful, whole-body nutrient infusion of the wolfberry superfruit, a delicious juice blend, and pure essential oils.
- Longevity™ Softgels are a proprietary blend of fat-soluble antioxidants.
This Valentine’s Day, let’s take a few minutes to focus on our physical hearts and recommit ourselves to living healthier, happier lives.
—Ryan Seely, YL Associate Product Marketing Manager